google.com, pub-4503055424083402, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 MY COUNTRYLANE: My Thoughts on Thanksgiving

SEARCH MyCountrylane blog

21 November 2017

My Thoughts on Thanksgiving

It's finally here! Thanksgiving is in a matter of hours. I hope you think of it as something other than a day off with lots of food and plenty of football.

I think of it more as a seasonal thing rather than just a day. For the last couple of weeks it's been Thanksgiving already. We've been singing lots of praise songs at church ( I love "Count Your Blessings")! and hearing strong insightful messages on how and why we should be thankful. The why is easy... God is just so good to us each and every day,... even when we sometimes turn our backs on Him; even when we think we know better than He does. He watches over us and forgives us even when our own eyes tell us we aren't worth it. In His eyes we're always worth it. He is the author of second chances. We are so blessed.

The how is easy too... just think of all the things that God has given you and tell Him thank you. So simple. Just tell Him. Here are some ideas to think on to get you started:

There are so many things we are blessed with, that He has graciously given us for no other reason but that He loves us. From gorgeous sunrises and sunsets to enjoying a tiny hummingbird and looking him in his little tiny eye that God made. White fluffy clouds that mark the ceiling of our lives. Right now we're enjoying the beautiful Autumn foliage that God so thoughtfully created to provide us with an interesting dynamic background for our lives, that changes every 90 days or so. How did He ever think of that?! Anything in nature serves to remind us that we are so blessed.

Many new babies have been born recently and many more will surely come, each a masterful creation down to the feathery eyelashes and little bitty toenails. Even when they're not our own we are blessed just to see them, so tiny and perfect. What a loving God! We also have the older generations to be grateful for, with their years of experiences and much wisdom to impart (sometimes when we're not looking for any extra wisdom, lol). There is much to be cherished in our older friends and family that cannot be bought. We are simply blessed from cradle to grave.

Most of us enjoy fairly good to excellent health. My own could be a tad better if I had my way, but even if it's not so great we can usually look around and find someone who is worse off than we are. I know I have issues but I can still walk and talk, I have a good mind to think with, I can see and hear. I am so blessed.

We live in the greatest country in the world, and even with all it's problems I dare say most folks would not want to live elsewhere. I am so extraordinarily blessed that God chose to let me be born here. I'm sure I wouldn't survive the harshness of some of those other countries. My heart breaks for the women and children in war zones and those who live in 3rd world countries. Some don't even have clean water while we take it for granted and sometimes leave the tap running just because it's not cold enough for our liking. We are so blessed.

Family is a big blessing because it means we are not alone in this world. Whether it's the family we were born to or one that we chose to create for ourselves. I have both my own family. personal and extended as well as a church family filled with all my chosen sisters and brothers, parents and grandparents, and all the lovely kiddos who make up my little chosen cousins, nieces and nephews. It's wonderful being part of the family of God. I am so blessed to have both kinds of families!

Getting back to what to be thankful for means including thanks for God's love and saving grace. I love knowing I have a heavenly home waiting for me, that this is not all there is. I call it Hope. I am so blessed with hope and grateful that life is good because of God being the main part of it. I can't imagine waking up and not thinking about God each day. I am living a blessed life.