google.com, pub-4503055424083402, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 MY COUNTRYLANE: The End of Chaos

SEARCH MyCountrylane blog

19 November 2021

The End of Chaos

Again I've been slack on posting in a timely manner, but I've just been so busy. Our kitchen remodel is nearing it's completion. We're now searching for under-cabinet lights and new paper towel holders and we've started researching a new island to put in the middle. After that we should be done. As the head chef Danny has reorganized everything from pots and pans to bread and potato chips! We decided not to reinstall the corner appliance garage which gave us more counter space, but removed some previously used storage. I shared the "before" picture in my last blog post. Here is the "after" photo:

After kitchen renovations

It's the week before Thanksgiving. We will be hosting this year for the first time since Mom was here for her very last Thanksgiving. We didn't know it at the time and I'm glad spirits were high.

Thanksgiving Day 2019

The day after that wonderful day of celebration she went to the hospital for her gallbladder surgery and never came home again. To say that it's been on everyone's mind is a slight understatement. This year will be so different. There will only be five of us this year, with both of my girls now living out of state. There will just be too many empty seats at the table. But we will do our best to have a good time. And in addition to lunch we'll probably do a left-overs supper by the fire pit.

We're all looking forward to Christmas when everyone will be home. We've planned several days and nights of events so it should be a lot of fun. We've decided no presents (everyone usually gets what they want when they want throughout the year) and just being together again will be the best gift of all. I'm not holding my breath but I am hoping everyone will attend Christmas Eve services with me.

When the kids were little Christmas Eve used to consist of a steak dinner out, followed by picking up our pre-ordered ribs from Frankie's for Christmas dinner, and then driving around fancy neighborhoods looking at all the pretty lights. Later as the kids got older we participated in the services at church. Then Frankie's closed, and now there's not much but the candlelight service at church, especially after I started playing the piano there. I really enjoy the service and it's actually the best part of Christmas now. But I think we can still figure out some special dining experience before the service starts this year! How does hot dogs over the fire pit sound?!

My back yard is now glorious! I love watching the leaves fall even while I mourn their loss. But my leaf covered yard - Wonderful!! It's all crunchy and definitely puts you in the mood. I've been sitting on my deck reading a good book while the fur babies hunt worms. As soon as all the snakes are hibernating I'm hoping to go through the woods back to the water! That's always such a treat for me!


I wish each of you a wonderful Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas! I am so blessed and wish only the best to you all for the coming year!