google.com, pub-4503055424083402, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0 MY COUNTRYLANE: Travels Few

SEARCH MyCountrylane blog

20 October 2018

Travels Few

In 2011 Hubster and I went to Edenton NC for a weekend at the Captain's Quarters bed and breakfast. We simply ran away from home for a few days of nothing to do or worry about. It was wonderful!

Within a month we adopted Abby, our little rescue dog, We were now tethered to home while enjoying our new family member, but all the talk during our Edenton stay, about taking weekend vacations every few months became null and void.

In November 2012 Hubster and Abby and I went to Florida. Abby loves to ride so we found a pet-friendly hotel close to our destination and Abby slept in her cage while we enjoyed Thanksgiving with my daughter and her extended Florida family.

In June 2014 we adopted Toby, Abby's BFF. They are so cute together, but as much as Abby loves to ride Toby frantically hates it. So traveling with our fur babies was curtailed significantly.

In October 2014 I went to Florida for a weekend visit, this time flying with mom, my other daughter and sister-in-law on a grand girls-day-out trip. Hubster stayed home with the furry ones.

Flagler Beach
Then my health issues caused a big drop in ventures. We rode to Nags Head for a few hours and visited Oriental twice, but all of these were one-day events. Recently, with back and knee surgeries accomplished and significantly healed, I felt like I could start to do a few things again.

View from Chowder Ted's restaurant
So for our anniversary and his birthday we headed south again a couple of weeks ago, taking several days to drive down. Alas, Hubster decided that visiting Charleston or Savannah was out. (Apparently he thinks that all the criminals are just waiting for us to arrive).

A visit to daughter's workplace
Just passing through the palms
We stayed in a couple of small towns and I must say I enjoy eating at mom-and-pop places, meeting quite a few harmless characters along the way. I admit I was a little worried when the lady at the next table discovered that I'd gotten the last piece of chocolate pie when she'd been told there wasn't any. I enjoyed buffet night at the main diner of one place and that highly recommended but extremely questionable-looking bar/Mexican eatery proved that you can't judge a book by the cover - the food was outrageously good!
On the boardwalk

We were able to stay one night in St. Augustine, which I absolutely love. I visited there once in 1972. While there I did a test walk to see how far I could go since my surgeries. I did well, going in a three-block square before feeling the tightness in my back and legs. I did better than I'd thought but not as good as I'd wanted to. But at least it let me know my limits.

I'm not really sure, just saying.
We had a wonderful time at my daughter's 1910 home, enjoying the quaint town they live in, and seeing all the sights. Her in-laws had us over for a birthday dinner for Hubster and everyone had such a marvelous time together.

And although folks said it was not as hot as usual I did find it extremely hot and humid, reminding them that overweight people do not do hot well. We visited the remains of The Senator, which had been the oldest and largest Cypress tree in FL until a drug user accidentally burned it down in 2012. We walked on board walks through the jungle-like woods until a sudden storm popped up and we had to dash back to the car. I did pretty good doing that short power walk! We laughed and waited for our hair to fuzz out like dandelions!

Now that I'm back home I feel better. You know you can get stuck at home for too long. Things were becoming overwhelming. Now I have a freshness that I hope will last a while. Hubster has promised that we will do a little more traveling in the coming years. I sure hope so. There's a lot I haven't seen yet!